Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Technology in class.

Observation:
Currently our 6th graders all bring their netbooks to class while 7th and 8th graders do not.

Questions:
  1. How are the 6th graders doing with their netbooks?  Are they using them productively to learn?
  2. Do 7th/8th graders wish they had this resource to use in class, or are they relieved?
  3. Would you rather use a netbook or an iPad?  Why?
Additional Questions:
  • What other technologies should we be using in class?
  • How can we acquire these technologies?
  • What can we do to help students in other schools?

7 comments:

  1. I am a ninth grader at St. Mary's Episcopal School. Many of our teachers' curriculum involves technology. I recently purchased a laptop because I believed this purchase was necessary to complete my school work. At St. Mary's, we take quizzes online, find out homework online, and do projects online. With technology starting to play such an important role an education, I believe all students should have some form of a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am in Mr. McCalla's Algebra II class and he said we could comment on your blog! At my school, we do pretty much everything on the computer. We can watch lectures, take quizzes, work on projects, research topics for term paper, and much more all online! If you didn't have a computer, you would be in trouble! Every year we more and more we do is online! I think that having a computer is a necessity, both in school and in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my name is Sukriti Mohan, and like the other two girls who have responded to this discussion, I am also in Mr. McCalla's H Algebra II class in Memphis, TN. I would also love to respond to this question!
    I think that technology, though it might be frightening at first, is unstoppable. Our world has to advance, no matter the consequences, and anyways, I am sure that the benefits outweigh the consequences any day. Maybe to the people of ages past, the wheel was scary, but to us, it is normal. In the same way, technology today makes it seem like we are all losing our ability to use pen and paper, but it is not. We can't push the advancing world back. We will make technology work...for everyone. Those people who don't have the technology like the rest of us? We will help them advance too! Money will always be raised, technology will become more far-reaching, and prices will fall. The whole world will travel into the future together, and we are the pioneers who will lead the rest of the people on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also from St. Marys and i completely agree with Megan. At our school almost everything has been transferred to online. All our quizzes, projects, powerpoints, and notes from teachers are on the computer. It would be nearly impossible to go to school for us without a computer. i think at the same time, the seventh and eighth graders could be glad to not have the notebooks. Personally i like it when our homework is not all online. I think a mix between the two is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! My name is Kim, and I am also from St. Mary's. I think that technology has taken over the education system. Now rather than using paper, I take my quizzes online. I also do many homework assignments on the computer. Although using a computer is sometimes faster and more efficient, it can also be a problem because of technicalities. I also think that sometimes technology can be taken advantage of, and that many students waste their online access. I agree with Grace that a mix between paper and computer would be nice and really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my name is dakota and I am also from St. Mary's. In a lot of our classes everything is online, including our homework assignments. Yes, it saves paper and sometimes is more efficient, but what happens if you do not have a computer at home or the internet goes out? you are out of luck! I agree with Kim and Grace in that there should be an equal balance of paper and technology!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my name is Rachel and I am also from St. Mary's. As many of my classmates have stated, in a lot of our classes everything has to be done online. We take tests, quizzes, write papers, and watch lectures. Everything is done online. I find it to be annoying. I would rather do most of my things on paper, rather than online. Although the online databases are amazing, I would rather get information from books for research papers.
    I do not think sixth graders are doing well with their netbooks. If I had that as a sixth grader, I would want to play games on them all day long. I think the 7th/8th graders are probably relieved because it is one less distraction and it is less money for their parents to spend.
    For my school, I would rather use an ipad because our school is mac and it was very hard for me to do my work without a mac.
    I do not think technology needs to be advanced at all.

    ReplyDelete