Monday, August 23, 2010

Time between classes

Observation:
There are 5 minutes allotted to change classes.

Questions:
  1. If you have PE 1st period and Dr. Young 2nd period, is there enough time between classes to be in class on time?
  2. If you have Chorus and then Coach Snyder, can you make it to class on time?
  3. What if you need water or have to go to the bathroom?
  4. Are students loitering in the locker commons rather than going to the bathroom and getting to class on time? 
  5. If you had 8 minutes between classes, would some students still be late?
  6. What about fruit break?  Are students late for class after fruit break? 
Additional Questions:
  • How are the 6th graders doing with their Netbooks and changing classes?  Do they need more time because they have technology to manage?  Do they need less time because the technology makes their work more efficient?
  • How many minutes of passing time do other schools have?
  • Are the number of minutes of passing time different for laptop schools?

3 comments:

  1. I am from a different school-St. Mary's in Memphis. And we have 5 mins between classes.
    I think that it's interesting you pose this question because I have never really questioned the time given. I have always just adapted to the time we have. But addressing your questions, having extra time would make for positive and negative effects, I feel going from one side of school to the other will obviously take longer than just across the hall. In this situation the extra time is needed. I think the 8 mins would be great because you have time to do what you need to without rushing. I hate being stressed about time and this would solve that. On the contrary, there will always be kids who are late. I think that no matter how much time given someone will take advantage of it. So I feel like the decision should be based on the majority of the students. Most students respect the rules, so giving extra time would be nice for these kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to school with Julia at St Mary's and I totally agree with her. I am the person who is late to everything. I could know about something weeks in advance and I would still be late to it. If more time were given to me between classes I would probably try to squeeze anything and everything possible into those eight minutes; obviously i would be late. In retrospect I very frequently have to get up during class to go to the bathroom because I don't have enough time in between classes. I think that if those few extra minutes were given to us, students wouldn't have to get up in the middle of class and have to for example use the restroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am claire from St. Mary's as well. First off, I know I am sometimes guilty of loitering around the lockers, sometimes making me late to class. However, most days I am on time. However, I feel like if we had 8 minutes instead of 5 minutes people would underestimate how much time they have to loiter, making them late. So I think the amount of time we have between classes is fine!

    ReplyDelete